Product FinderConsumer Advice

Buying TVP

What is TVP (textured vegetable protein) and where can I find it in Sam's?

By crochet1-half from PA

If you are talking about Sam's Club the warehouse store, you probably won't find it there. Look in the natural/organic aisle of your local grocery or a health food store. I got mine at Fred Meyer, a local Kroger store, in the bulk food section. Good luck!

I used to buy TVP through Walton's Bulk Foods. I would order their stuff on line & UPS delivered it. Their TVP comes in different flavors (beef, chicken, etc.) It tastes similar to beef. If you have ever eaten Morningstar Farms imitation hamburger crumbles, I believe it is TVP - it tastes like it. I hope this helps. I like to mix TVP with real meat. You really can't tell the difference. It is better for you (no fat) & cheaper. Also it is better for the environment.

Morningstar Farms and Boca products are TVP. If you want the dry stuff that you make into your own product, you need to go to a health food store, or a really good market with a health food section in it. You might also try making your own Seitan. There are many receipes for it on the web.

I agree, I've never seen TVP at Sam's Club. I used to be able to buy mine in bulk at Whole Foods but they stopped carrying it. Now I can only buy it in small sacks at Whole Foods. It's really good to put in chili or to make taco "meat".

Do anyone know whats in textured vegetable protein because most of the products are processed and chemicals added.