Choosing a Pet

I have 2 kids, dd 5 and ds 3. Ds is allergic to dogs and cats. I want to get them a pet that is low cost, low maintenance, will be awake when the kids are, and doesn't mind being handled. Also my kids are generally skiddish around most animals. Any suggestions are much welcome. Thanks.

By Jessica

I have had all kinds of pets from gerbils to horses. My favorite was a rat. They have a personality much like a cat and generally love people. They are very tolerant of children. If you do get a rat, look for a local breeder. the rats in pet stores frequently have a respiratory disease that they acquire at birth. It gets worse as they age. The pet stores explain that they are meant for snake food, so they dont really care if they have shortened lives. The rat tails make everybody go euuuu! but you get used to it quickly.

I actually had a neighbor who had rats. Unfortunately I like my MIL too much to get even one:) She's terrified of them.