Brown Stains From Ironing

I have a polyester/cotton white shirt and sometimes when I iron it and the setting is on wool I get a browning stain from the iron. Bleach removes the stain. Why do I get the brown iron stain?

Craig from Perth, Australia

By Anna from Maine (Guest Post)

The plate of your iron may be dirty. Take some Silver Polish or Soft Scrub on a sponge and try to clean it, (only if it is a shiny Plate) If it is a teflon plate (grey or black colored) just try some dish detergent and see if any color comes off.

If you are using the steam setting, the brown stain may be rust mixed with water from within the iron.

The temperature may be set too hot. If so, the brown stain could be scorching of the fabric. Try a cooler setting.

Or try using a damp cloth over the shirt as you iron. This gives you the same result as using a steam iron.
Gee, it has been so long since I actually ironed anything that I am surprised I can remember this stuff. *smile*
Harlean from Arkansas

Hi Craig,
If you don't believe that the bottom of the iron is dirty and If it is a steam iron, it may be that the water chamber is dirty or that you are using tap water with a lot of minerals.

Fill your iron with white distilled vinegar, let it sit a while, then turn it on and let it heat up. Take an old towel and iron it so that the steam comes out all of the holes. if there is a water sprayer, let the vinegar spray through that also.

Then when you know that the vinegar has worked it's way through the iron, empty out the vinegar and add distilled water and repeat the process until no vinegar smell remains. Make sure that you use distilled water in your iron from then on and you should not have this problem.

Susan from ThriftyFun

By (Guest Post)

Once you get the iron cleaned, be sure to empty the water after every use. Letting it sit in the iron will encourage rusting inside.