WallpaperHome Improvement

Removing Wallpaper Borders

I have border on my kitchen walls and I need to replace it. I have tried to take it down and I am having a really hard time. I need some help?

By Freda from Wayne, WV

I always fill a squirt bottle with water and spray the wallpaper. Be generous. Then scrape and peel off.

In a spray bottle, combine 1 tablespoon baking soda, 1 cup Downy liquid softener, and HOT water to fill.

Make cuts in the surface of the paper with a small utility knife. Soak the paper all over with the softener mix. This will loosen the glue and you can pull the paper right off. It works like nothing else, so don't waste money on the pre-mixed stuff from the hardware store. The bonus is it leaves your room smelling fabulous!

Just water is good enough,spray and wait then it will remove easily. Usually the top layer(the color layer) will come off first.

Then there will be a tan colored layer, just spray again and wait a couple minutes and it will come off easily too.

The baking soda and downy works. I sprayed mine, peeled the colored part, and took an old credit card and scraped off the glue.