Building MaterialsHome Improvement

Drying Cedar For Building

We just cut down cedar trees to build our garage and I want to use the trees to make hand rails but I am not sure how to go about the drying process. What do I do about the tree sap? I have seen these type of railings in log homes that we toured when we built ours. But, I am lost!

shopping_addiction_woman from Nashville, IN

We had our logs sit out for about 6 months. Then we took them to the saw mill and had them cut into planks. The saw mill told us to let them season another 3 months.

The sap just dried up on its own. To season properly, they must get air all the way around, so we spaced them out and turned them every month. They can't sit stack directly on each other, so we put a board in between for the air flow.