Use Tall Laundry Hampers as Trash Cans

Tall laundry hampers are about half the price of kitchen size trash cans. You can get them for as little as $5 at Deals!, Family Dollar, and Dollar General and they hold a kitchen size trash bag nicely. You can use it on laundry day for clothes and the rest of the time for a trash can.

By Mrslinkous from KC

Umm... forgive me if I seem squeamish. I'd rather splurge another $5 for a second hamper for my dirty clothes than use the same hamper for both. Seems no matter how careful we are, garbage invariably soils the can itself. I wouldn't want garbage staining my clothes, even if they're headed to the washer, anyway.

I use these tall laundry hampers for storing "hard-to-store"/awkward shaped things such as long rolls of wrapping paper. You can't close the lid but who cares about that?

I also use tall laundry baskets for garbage cans. Just buy the 33 gallon size trash bags and they work beautifully, especially if you cook from scratch every night and have a lot trash from it. I, however, do not use the basket for clothes as well, buy a separate one for that.

I agree with everyone so far. Once I've put trash in a laundry/trash can even with a bag, I'm not putting my laundry into it! Better to splurge and buy a second one for laundry! I however have regular kitchen size trash cans that I bought at Dollar General for $5 several years ago. So trash cans do not cost more if you just shop around.