Home SafetyHome Improvement

Smoke Alarm Goes Off in Middle of Night

Category Home Safety

One of my hard-wired smoke alarms goes off in the middle of the night (full screech, not chirping), triggering the others. Before I can get out of bed and identify the culprit, they have screeched two or three times then stopped.

There doesn't seem to be any pattern. They will go weeks with nothing happening, then the screech begins and stops. Another few (or more) weeks will go by before it happens again.

The batteries are fresh and the green light is showing. Anyone know what would cause this?

By Randy R.

Most likely you have a short in the wiring. It's worth getting someone who knows electricity to look at it, or pay for someone to fix the problem who has good rates. Trust me, going off when it's not needed is not as bad as not going off when it is.
Good Luck.

I think this will help.