Ripening Avocados

Everyone knows of how to keep an avocado from browning but I found out a lot of people don't know how to make it brown. Ripen that is. I find that if you set it on your windowsill for a day or 2 it will soften to touch instead of waiting about a week for it to ripen in the refrigerator.

By Paula B

To ripen avocados, leave them closed in a paper bag at room temperature for a few days.

By Gladys Hill

I often buy gifts for my mother from misterspear.com. Martha Stewart brought this company to the public's attention, and their January offering is avocadoes. They recommend ripening avocados by putting them in a brown paper bag with an apple. The gasses that the apple produces cause the avocado to ripen more quickly.

By Ana from Miami (Guest Post)

Never put them in the rewfrigerator when you bring them home. If you want to eat them right away, buy the ones that are soft to the touch, and to eat them later buy the hard ones, keep them in a brown bag, they whould be ready in 3 days, I leave mine in the fruit bowl, next to the fruits.

(we have tropical weather) and keep feeling them till they are soft.

By babby (Guest Post)

YOU CAN PUT IT IN A BROWN PAPER BAG TO EXPEDITE THE RIPENING PROCESS.""

By joel (Guest Post)

i have also tried burying the avocado in flour, it works, but i think the paper bag + banana method is the best, particularly in colder, drier climates.

By SR (Guest Post)

I read on the Internet that placing an unripe avacado in a bag of flour will ripen it over night. Yesterday, I was desperate. I needed 3 ripened by morning. I took a large paper bag and placed all 3 in the bag, then dumped approximately 1/2 bag of flour over them.

I rolled up the bag as best I could and left it on the counter. This morning all 3 were perfectly ripe. I can't believe it! They were rock hard yesterday.

By (Guest Post)

What if you need it ripened immediately?

This is always how I do it. Put the unripe avocado(s) in a small paper bag (like a paper lunch bag) with a moderately ripe banana. Put the bag in a warm location, such as the top of your fridge for a day or two. The ethylene gas given off the banana will quickly ripen the avocado. I find this works for other fruit as well.

By Thoms_here from AR

I am a florist and for about 25 years we have done the same thing to open flowers that are not opening quickly enough. But we use an apple half and tent the bucket of flowers with plastic and put the apple half on the bucket rim. At home I put the avocados in a paper bag with an apple half and overnight they ripen beautifully. The ethylene gas really does the trick. That is why you cannot store fresh flowers with fruit, or it will "age" the flowers.