AutoCleaning

Paint Spilled On New Car Carpet and Seats

Pease if anyone has any ideas on how to get paint out of carpet I'm open to any and all suggestions. I had some paint cans in the back cargo area of my Jeep and blue paint spilled all over. My mom's dog stepped in it and got blue paw prints all over the back of my seats which are leather. This is my first brand new car(3mo. old) and its already ruined!

Melissa (age 29) from Atlanta

You can look at the can of paint and see what solvent is required for cleaning brushes for that type of paint. Different kinds of paint will use different types of solvents (Mineral Spirits, Turpentine, etc.). Then dab the solvent on the paint stains on the carpet. It may take a while but the solvent should remove the paint. As far as the leather seats, be sure to pretest any cleaning solution you try. A cleaning solution that would work fine on the carpet may disclor or damage the leather. Try to find an out of site, piece of leather to pretest on.

Considering the newness of the car, you may want to call both the paint company and your car dealer to see if they have any advice.

I used de-natured alchohol on my carpet after my then 2 year old son decided to paint my almost white carpet with the hunter green paint my husband was using to paint the walls and it came clean! I learned this trick from a pofessional painter. You can find de-natured alcohol in the paint section.

I saw on here somewhere that windex is the answer

You might check with your insurance agent. Since your car is new, it should have full coverage, and this might be covered under the comprehensive part of the policy. I'd call and check.

I saw one line on here that said that windex works to get paint out! I TRIED IT AND IT GOT BOTH DRIED AND WET PAINT OUT IN IMMEDIATLY AND I EVEN USED JUST AN OFF BRAND NOT ACTUALLY THE BRAND WINDEX! NOTHING ELSE WORKED! I MEAN IT WAS QUICK JUST A FEW RUBS AND IT WAS OUT!

The original window cleaner windex ? Or what type of ? Thanks

I also tried windex on leather seats to remove 4 month old paint. It worked like a charm!

how much paint was it? and did it ruin the leather? i spilled a small can of white paint on the seat of my brand new black leather mustang seat. please HELP!

Somewhat related, if you spill latex paint on a carpet, pour twice the amount of water over the paint and suck it up with a wet and dry shop vac, this also works with other liquids, orange soda, wine etc

Don't feel stupid (we all tend to beat ourselves over the head) - something real similar happened to me only it was a lease vehicle. I took it to a professional car detailer because I know paint and I was afraid of what would happen if I tried it on my own. Good Luck! :o(

I restore the interiors of cars and your best bet is to get lacure thinner for the seats and use it on the carpet. Scrub with a brush on the carpets and with a towel on the seats.

All you need is a shot of vodka per cup of boiling water. Pour it directly on the spot, slap it with a metal wire brush and shop vac all the moisture.
I am serious this will work.

Many of us know that Easy-Off oven cleaner does remove even oil based paint from viny plastic without harming it.But does it remove paint from either a vinyl seat or carpet without damaging them.