MiscellaneousHome

Noisy Water Heater

How do you service a water heater that makes noise inside?

By Jean Rounsville from Banning, CA

Call the city utility company, tell them about it, it could be dangerous if it's a gas heater. They will come cut off the gas for you until it's fixed. I had this same problem, found out the heater was clogged up and had to be cleaned out by the landlord. It was shooting fire out of the bottom of the heater, scared the crap out of me! Be careful, don't get too close to it.

Depends on what "noise" you are talking about. If it's after a shower, it can be filling up. It can also be full of sediment. Ours makes sounds just because, my husband is a plumber and says of course the newer ones make less noises. But noise could also be coming from the pipes too. There are so many reasons. I would take the tip to call the city and tell them what's going on, they can probably lead you to someone who can come assess it for free.