Yard Man Mower Won't Start

I have a corner lot, 150x150, a small house and alot of land. 3 weeks ago I mowed the front yard and the side yard with no problem. The next weekend I started the back yard. The mower stopped from mowing large grass, and when I went to restart it the cord broke.

I replaced the recoil string and put gas in it, and the mower started up, so I turned it off until my next use. The next weekend, and since, the mower will not start. I took of the spark plug and sanded the black soot at the end. I filled the oil and checked to see if the air cleaner was dirty (it wasn't) and it still wouldn't start.

Next I checked the fuel line and other line that might be for air? It was all cracked, but Lowes had no replacement. I thought it was getting too much air in the fuel mixture. I bought Locktite, goo'd it and wrapped it with electrical tape, and let it cure overnite. That didn't work this morning and my arm is REALLY sore from pulling.

Any advice?

Kelly Jo

Best Answer

Kelly Jo, Try loosening the gas cap a half turn,and see if it starts.If it starts shut it off and remove gas cap.The tiny vent hole on the cap is probably blocked.You will need to run a small wire thru the vent hole to clear the blockage.It might also help to wash the cap in a small amount of gasoline. Good Luck..Guest

I couldn't get anybody to cut the grass at my house when I was single, so I planted bushes and flowers in strategic locations to limit the amount of grass to mow. I then bought a reel mower (the one without the motor), and it takes me 15 minutes to mow the front lawn and is much easier than a big, heavy, loud mower. It gives an even cut, even up under shrubs and flowers, and doesn't ever cut the grass too short. It mulches and I rarely have to water my lawn, even here in the deep south where it is really hot in the summers. I can even talk on the phone while I mow the lawn. It saves me tons of money, because all I have to do is sharpen it every few years -- no gas, no oil, no maintenance, no gym membership. And nobody will steal it if I leave it on the front porch! :-) Best $89 I ever spent.

Kelly Jo.....my advice.....buy a new mower. Bonnie

Yarman self propelled lawn mower:
Anybody know what to do if the pull cord doesn't recoil, even with some easy, gentle pulls ??

Reply to FirstTiger999 at hottmaill....Thanks