BakingFood Tips

Baking in a Can

Any one know about baking cakes in a coffee or other can?

By Barbara Smith from Unionville, NV

There are tons of recipe links for can baking.

http://www.goog  +in+a+coffee+can

Figure out what your batter would measure from the regular pan, then pour it into your coffee/other can to see where it could come. Remember, too deep and it does not bake as well. Breads are meant to be thicker in depth than cakes are.
Every hear of Boston Brown Bread? In my home area of SD, that was always what the best bakers baked it in. Girl scouts (former one) used a lot of cans etc for cooking, baking. Also camping supply store have the updated version without stealing from your recycle garbage for a can. And there are no edges.

I see so many great baking ideas using cans. Does anyone know the ratio of mix to the size of the can?

Thank you,
Tedebear from San Jose

Answers:

Baking in a Can

I fill my cans 2/3's with batter, and use a strand of raw pasta to check for doneness. 12 ounce coffee cans are the largest I've used. Line the cans with wax paper so that the grooves won't impede removal. (11/15/2005)

By Doggy

Baking in a Can

I am not to sure on baking in a can. But I do bake cakes in a jar as gifts, It states to fill the jars half full of batter and bake I am sure it would be the same with the cans. Good Luck I hope this helps. (11/16/2005)

By Tina

Baking in a Can

A wide mouth pint jar (16 ounces) takes 1 cup of batter. It will rise right to the top. Soup cans are a little smaller so I would test you batter on one can and see what happens. (11/16/2005)

By Annie