Keeping Small Rugs From Sliding

What is a cheap or free way to get small rugs to stay in place on the floor? How about rugs? I appreciate any ideas, as my rugs are sliding and wrinkling and I don't have the money yet to get what I need. Thanks.

By bumpinggums from Boston, MA

If you have hot glue, you can smear hot glue on each corner on the back side, spreading so it won't leave a bump, then when it is dry, it should grab on to the floor and help with the slipping problem Back in the 'old days' when canning jars still used rubber rings, momma would save the old broken rings, and sew those to the back side of rugs to keep them from slipping.

If you have a dollar store near you, go buy a set of rubber place mats or a package of rubber shelf/drawer liner, and put under the rugs. The non-slip rug liners are made of the same type material.

Depending on the size and number of rugs, a couple pf dollars would do it. I have a rug liner 6 ft long under a runner in a hallway, and it is made of exactly the same material as the place mats I got at the dollar store. It keeps the rug in place well.

Squeeze "Speed Sew" on the back in lines or swirls. Works on the soles of knitted slippers too.

All great ideas. I use Duct Tape and make a circle around my four fingers, making sure it adhere's to it'self. Then I put some on all four corners or if it's oval/round, in the center and on four or five other places.

You will have to replace it about every three months, but that's a small price to pay for rungs that won't slip.

Good luck. PBP

Anonymous

I was going to suggest the rubber shelf/drawer liners that Omanana mentioned. I even used a wide one of those cut to fit to keep from slipping in my shower.

Anonymous

An earlier post said the shelf liner discoloured the floor. 

Anonymous

after many trials and errors, here is what worked for me. first, lay down several strips of rug tape. I got some rolls of 2.5" from Walmart and made sure to go in both directions. Then I got double-sided Duck Tape and laid that ON TOP of the rug tape. the rug tape will protect the carpet from the very sticky/grippy Duck Tape. now lay down the runner rug. hasn't moved in three days.