Preventing Static Shock

I am looking for help with static electricity on door knobs, light switches, etc. You know the generally annoying type. I found some answers on Thriftyfun like wearing a safety pin and spraying carpet with diluted fabric softener. I haven't tried them yet. I am wondering what other solutions are out there. Thanks.

By Viki from Abbeville, AL

Best Answer

I had the same problem. I put 1/3 fabric softer to 2/3 water in a spray bottle and lightly spray furniture and carpets. Another solution is to get moisture in the house. Either buy a humidifier or simply boil some water. You can also use the spray in your car.

Just be careful boiling water on a gas stove. It can build up carbon monoxide in your home. It happened to me and set off my alarms. I didnt know what caused it until the firemen told me.

Best Answer

In all probability you have low humidity in your house. A humidifier will rectify this problem. Just take care not to overhumidify. If you do condensation will appear on windows.

I was going to mention low humidity in your home can cause the problem too. And if you happen to be a foot shuffle type of walker instead of lifting your feet up off of the floor type of walker makes a difference too. ;-)

Like someone else said "purchase a humidifier. I was waking up in the middle of the night with a very dry throat and coughing a lot.

And getting shocked when touching things. I bought a cheap humidifier at WalMart for under $20 and it helps a lot.

I was wondering if you used the dryer sheets on them if it would work. I might wet them lightly. Let me know if this works.

Tired of all the static and getting shocked when you touch a metal object every time you walk across the carpet wearing fluffy PJ's, sweaters or robes? Here is a nifty thrifty trick!

Pin a steel safety pin under your garment, it grounds you from the shock! I always have a safety pin here and there and realized that I don't get shocked when I have one pinned on!

By Missy from OH

Answers:

To prevent static shock, place two tablespoons of fabric softener in one quart of water. Put this in a spray bottle and mist the carpet in your automobile and also in your home.

By Pauline from Arcanum

Answers:

Preventing Static Shock

Thank you for this great tip. (11/30/2006)

By Annie Rios Hill

Preventing Static Shock

Thanks for the tip. I have more problem, what about the static you get when opening doors for example? Thanks. (12/01/2006)

By

Preventing Static Shock

Touch something that is earthed, e.g. a radiator, a water pipe etc. (09/17/2007)

By dan

Preventing Static Shock

Thank you!

Jennifer, Northern Virginia (12/01/2006)

By Jennifer Nelson

Home and Garden Cleaning TipsJanuary 19, 2011
🍀
💘