BreadFood Tips

Bread Machine Bread Is Dry and Crumbly

My sister lent me her bread machine and after several attempts I made a loaf of bread. However, it came out dry and rather crumbly. Do I add more water, oil, what? Thanks in advance.

By Brenda Walker Hellstrand from Charlotte, NC

I used to bake my own bread all the time but broke both my wrists so kneading became a problem. Much trial and error with a bread machine produced the following recipes. I don't know why the difference in amounts, it just seems to work best this way. I use regular All Purpose Flour. Make sure to put ingredients into bread machine in order listed.

Rapid or Short Bake:
Water 1-1/3 cups
Oil 2 tablespoons
Sugar 1 tablespoon
Salt 1-1/4 teaspoons
Flour 3 cups
Yeast 2 teaspoons

Long or Regular Bake
Water 1-1/4 cups
Oil 2 tablespoons
Sugar 1 tablespoon
Salt 1 teaspoons

Flour 3 - 1/4 cups
Yeast 3/4 teaspoons

I am a busy Foster Mom (for 40 years) with much practice and hungry kids so I usually have to do a rapid bake and rapid cooling of my machine - fan blowing on machine if necessary - as the first loaf disappears in mere minutes! :) Bake and enjoy !!

ERP - Ontario - Canada

I make purple ribbon recipes (at the local fairs) and I use milk instead of water for softer bread. Water will get you crusty style loaves, which some people prefer. Also, I use olive oil. I do not bake my bread in the machine, just use the knead factor. I have a lot of recipes I have had posted previously. Everything from pizza crusts, rolls, etc.

Hi. I used to use ERP's method for making bread, but it never came out the same twice. This may be something to do with altitude (or just that I'm fairly useless)!

I now use a recipe that I found on Allrecipes.com:

1 sachet dried yeast
1 cup warm water (110 deg to be precise, but warm is good)!
2 tblsp sugar
1/4 cup oil - veg/olive, whatever!
3 cups flour (like ERP I just use normal plain flour)
1 1/2 tsp salt

Mix the yeast, sugar and water together in the bread machine bowl. Leave for 10 minutes until frothy.
Add the oil, flour and salt.
Turn on!

I hope you do find a recipe that works for you, as the smell of homecooked bread is just absolutely the best!

Yes, you could try adding more water if the dough is crumbly when mixing. Adding more oil is good too. I have given up with olive oil, and now only use vegetable oil. 4 tablespoons of oil helps to make a more fluffier loaf.

As an afterthought, if the finished loaf is dry and crumbly then you may have used too much flour and / or water.

Food and Recipes Food Tips BreadJune 29, 2010
🎂
🌻
📓