BreadFood Tips

Bread Machine Bread Is Dry and Crumbly

My sister lent me her bread machine and after several attempts I made a loaf of bread. However, it came out dry and rather crumbly. Do I add more water, oil, what? Thanks in advance.

By Brenda Walker Hellstrand from Charlotte, NC

I used to bake my own bread all the time but broke both my wrists so kneading became a problem. Much trial and error with a bread machine produced the following recipes. I don't know why the difference in amounts, it just seems to work best this way. I use regular All Purpose Flour. Make sure to put ingredients into bread machine in order listed.

Rapid or Short Bake:
Water 1-1/3 cups
Oil 2 tablespoons
Sugar 1 tablespoon
Salt 1-1/4 teaspoons
Flour 3 cups
Yeast 2 teaspoons

Long or Regular Bake
Water 1-1/4 cups
Oil 2 tablespoons
Sugar 1 tablespoon
Salt 1 teaspoons
Flour 3 - 1/4 cups
Yeast 3/4 teaspoons

I am a busy Foster Mom (for 40 years) with much practice and hungry kids so I usually have to do a rapid bake and rapid cooling of my machine - fan blowing on machine if necessary - as the first loaf disappears in mere minutes!

:) Bake and enjoy !!

ERP - Ontario - Canada

I make purple ribbon recipes (at the local fairs) and I use milk instead of water for softer bread. Water will get you crusty style loaves, which some people prefer. Also, I use olive oil. I do not bake my bread in the machine, just use the knead factor. I have a lot of recipes I have had posted previously. Everything from pizza crusts, rolls, etc.

Hi. I used to use ERP's method for making bread, but it never came out the same twice. This may be something to do with altitude (or just that I'm fairly useless)!
I now use a recipe that I found on Allrecipes.com:

1 sachet dried yeast
1 cup warm water (110 deg to be precise, but warm is good)!
2 tblsp sugar

1/4 cup oil - veg/olive, whatever!
3 cups flour (like ERP I just use normal plain flour)
1 1/2 tsp salt

Mix the yeast, sugar and water together in the bread machine bowl. Leave for 10 minutes until frothy.
Add the oil, flour and salt.
Turn on!

I hope you do find a recipe that works for you, as the smell of homecooked bread is just absolutely the best!