LaundryCleaning

Dried Stains On Cotton Shirts

Category Laundry

I have a huge problem: Every one of my shirts (which are cotton) are stained (usually with food stains, grease mostly) and the stains have been dried in.

I have never used a spray like shout before now. I found one at the dollar store, and it worked on a stain that wasn't that old, but did not work on older stains.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Try soaking the articles in a solution of automatic dishwasher detergent at least overnight, but up to 3 days. Wash as usual, adding soaking water to the washer as well.
Marti

In a bucket of water, dissolve dishwasher granules and place the item in the bucket to soak overnight.

I have heard that thrift stores have used this method on something that was too nice to pitch.

I had a shirt and tried it and it did work ... it may not work all the time, but you may be lucky on some too.

I have had great success at getting out old grease spots on clothes by putting dawn dishwashing liquid on the spot , boil some water, put the article of clothing in the sink and pour the boiling water over the spots. Too, I never buy expensive spray & wash stuff. I mix my own by mixing some liquid laundry detergent & a little dawn in a spray bottle and fill the rest of the way up with water. Works great.

Try "Spot Shot". I buy mine at Wal-Mart in the laundry section.

I just tried GOOP Handcleaner "the ultimate stainlifter" on some old stains on some of my cotton tshirts and it seems to have removed almost all of them. You can find it in the automotive section of Walmart etc. It says to test for colorfastness, but these shirts were ruined so I just went for it. Worked great.

Thank you for the posts.

I tried soaking my skirts (more than 1/2 doz) in dishwasher detergent and water for about 4-5 days and this method worked well with all shirts.

You saved me tons of money and heartache! Thank you so much!

I have had some luck with removing some stains by simply adding some bleach to the side part of the washing machine (that is for bleach only). I think if you would use a bucket or other container, add the bleach and mix it well with the water before adding any garments, and be sure they are immersed. Either way, the bleach is in the water evenly, so there won't be any bleach streaks. This worked VERY well on some t-shirts that I got for only $1.99 each at a discount store, some slight dirt stains, one yellow t-shirt even had some strange bright pink spots on it, but it all came out just fine! Wasn't even bleach for colors, just your common stuff for about a dollar. Perhaps bleach for colors would be better to use, I don't know, as I never bought that kind.

I wanted to ask the poster, Ginger, what exactly is the ratio of water/liquid laundry detergent/Dawn dish detergent she uses to make her homemade stain remover? And what size spray bottle did she use?

Help!! I can't see to remove the detergent stains off my favorite beige cotton pants. I tried dabbing bleash over the blue spots but nothing seems to work. I'm desperate! any suggestions?

Need help I stained one of my cotton shirts and I cant get it out. It's a double layer shirt. It's a nice light blue and then a baby blue. I love the shirt wore it only 2 times and it is now stained. Anyone know what to do?

I live in Ireland not familiar with the products mentioned how to remove grease from my cotton top. I have heard from a dry cleaners to dab washing up liquid to stains leave for a while repeat the process if neccesary. so here goes fingers crossed.