ConversionsFood Tips

How Many Cups Of Chicken Meat On A Whole Chicken

Category Conversions

Does anyone know the equivalent measurement for how many cups of chicken meat you can get from stewing/poaching an average size (3 to 4 lb.) chicken?

Reason for the request: A lot of the recipes I have called for the meat from a whole stewed or cooked chicken. Since there are only two people eating meals in this house, I don't need to cook up an entire chicken (especially since we don't care for the dark meat). I use chicken breasts but have never seen (or just don't remember) how many cups of meat I could expect from a cooken chicken.

The measurement I use now is "if it looks right" but this isn't what is needed if I am sharing a recipe with a friend!

Thanks for any help on this.

Sandie (Ronsan)

By little me (Guest Post)

You can approximate getting about 1 cup of meat per pound of whole chicken, over 3 pounds.

This is just what I want to know. I'm trying to shortcut a recipe using cooked chicken and chicken broth to eliminate cooking a whole hen and getting the meat and broth.

Now I can use a box of broth, add some cooked celery, onions and carrots to doctor it like Nana used to, add my pre-cooked chicken and go on with making my potpie. Not the pie type, the broth and thick noodle type.