CanningFood and Recipes

How Do I Can Green Beans?

Category Canning

How long do I process green beans in a hot water bath in the canner?

By Jean R

Green beans have to be processed in a pressure canner. Hot Water bath won't be safe. Go online and look for a Kerr Canning Book. I think you can still order one. It says to wash and cut into 1 inch pieces and pack into canning jars within 1/2 inch of the jar top. Add1/2 teaspoon salt to each pint (1 teaspoon to a quart). Fill to 1/2 inch of top of jar with BOILING Water. Put on cap, screw band firmly tight. Process pints 20 minutes at 10 pounds pressure. Quarts at 25 minutes at 10 pound pressure. Beans can spoil easily. When opening to eat, be sure to bring to a boil and boil for 10 - 15 minutes. It's a lot more trouble but I have never lost any beans by falling the Kerr process.

I know! Now days we are told that it's not safe to can most food in a water bath, but when I was growing up that's all most people used. I have a old Kerr Canning book that said to water bath green beans (Pints or Quarts) for 180 minutes. Wash, cut, and boil 3 minutes. Pack in sterilized jars. Add 1 teaspoon of salt. Fill to 1/2" to the top of jar's with boiling water beans were cooked in.

Using knife remove any bubbles in jar. Clean rim and place a new sterilized lid and then ring firmly on jar. I did this as most of my family and no one ever got sick. Be sure to boil 15 minutes after opening before eating. Be sure to keep the water in the bath boiling if it drop down below boiling you must start the time over.