CatsPets

Older Cat is Hungry All the Time

My 25 year old cat who is now deaf, but otherwise very fit has started to constantly ask for food. She has now reached the stage where she tries to steal ours. She was always a lady, but now is a little minx. Cloe is very well fed, but has become crazy for food.

By Ron from Leeds, England

It also depends on the kind of cat food you are feeding her. Since she's an older cat, try foods with recipes designed for older cats, but keep in mind her activity level. If she runs around and plays a lot, she's going to need more protein to stay satisfied, but if she isn't active, then she'd need less. Watch what kinds of food she tries to steal the most, if she goes after a particular food group, because she might be needing extra vitamins/trace minerals as well, my cat use to hate when I'd leave veges on my plate, but now that she's older, if they are small enough, she's gobble them up quicker then a blink of the eye, :)

Anonymous

Especially if you notice a difference in her stools please take your baby to the vet if you can afford it! I once had a fifteen year old who tried to steal food a lot and it turned out she had liver disease and she was hungry all the time because her liver was failing :-( I am sorry if I am being the bearer of bad news :-(

I agree with Deeli, a change in appetite is an important thing to bring to your vet's attention. It's most likely a symptom of a larger problem. Good luck!