VegetablesFreezing

Freezing Runner Beans

I have a glut of beans from my new allotment and it would be a pity to compost them. How do I freeze them?

By Anthony

Prepare them as if to cook, then blanch. Blanching is dumping a meal's worth of beans into boiling water and boiling until they turn bright green. Immediately place the beans in cold, cold water to stop the cooking process. When they are chilled, drain well and freeze. One trick I use is to put enough for a meal into a sandwich bag, and then put the sandwich bags into a freezer bag. I can take out as many of the small bags as I need if I have more people to cook for. You must use a good quality freezer bag to keep them in good condition in the freezer.

Anonymous

To add to Chloelizabeth's instructions: Beans are blanched for 3 minutes. You also want to lay them out on cloth towels after the ice bath and draining and dry off well before placing them into the freezer containers to reduce freezer burn.