Have Friends and Family Check On Older Parent

My mother lives in our home and has several health issues. She continues to be pretty independent. But on days when she may be less independent, I ask friends or relatives to call and chat with her. This helps her feel valuable. At the same time it allows others to check on her status several times a day, while I am at work.

I also keep the back door unlocked so if there may be a problem, it is easy to physically check on her while I am gone.

By susan from Elkhart, IN

Better to have a lock with a punch code. Give the code to the people who will be checking in on her. If you need to call 911 you can give them the code when you call.

Good tip but I wouldn't leave the back door unlocked.

Scooterrhea and Lilac both have a good point. If I didn't have scary dogs, I wouldn't want to be alone with an unlocked door! Your reasoning and basic idea are sound, though.

You also get others involved in your dear mother's care - if not physically, at least mentally and emotionally. She knows they still care for her. That's very important. Kudos and thumbs up!