Advice for Keeping My Life Private Away from Work

I don't like to talk about who I'm dating and what's going on in my romantic life at work. But I don't want to be rude about it either. How do I politely let my co-workers know that I don't like to talk about it?

Yolanda

I'd just say something about it being too boring to discuss and let that be it. You can either say it with a smile or with a jaunty wave as you zip off to do something else. If there is a direct question (WHO are you dating?) I'd say "Nothing happening along those lines." You don't owe anybody a full disclosure of your life! Dr. Laura would say, "Do you tell them what kind of tampons you use?" A bit crude but to the point!

tell them that it really isn't fair to discuss someone who isn't present to defend themselves

Anonymous

You could also turn the tables by immediately asking about their life instead of answering their question ... Most people will immediately switch to ego mode and talk about themselves instead ;-)

A short meaningless answer and then a complete change of subject is your best bet. It's true that people like to talk about themselves, but even better than shifting the topic to something like who THEY are dating is a completely unrelated, impersonal topic. That'll help give them the idea you don't want to discuss your personal life, but in an indirect and nonthreatening way.

..so lets see here..I don't take my work home with me and I don't bring my home life to work...I'd rather not answer that...

remember 'no' is a valid answer..

but many times I just say "why do you want to know?"

lots of luck....sometimes I'd like a way of kind way of telling someone 'I don't want to know about your personal life.' actually I don't care...

I am a very direct person. Most of the time, I will be polite, but get my point across. However, when people just stick their noses where they do not belong, then I don't sugar coat it, and I just flat out say, 'None of your business.' However, I would try the 'I do not mix my personal life and my business life, either by dating or by speaking, but thank you for your interest.'

I think that we often feel obligated to answer questions, whether we feel comfortable or not. Just remember that we are not obligated by any means. If their feelings are easily hurt, maybe they need not be so interested in everyone else's business.

Well, I would do the above mentioned, but I am one of those people that would pry and ask in another way until you flat out told me that we weren't getting paid to talk about our lives, we are getting paid to work.

A bit harsh, but with some people (myself included) upfront and flatout honesty is the best policy....they can't argue company policy with that one.

This may be funny and to the point:

"If it was any of your business then you'd already know"

How's that for leaving them gasping for words HAHA

I am a former restaurant manager. I had lots of young staffers who loved to discuss their private lives while at work. Anytime they asked me about my private life, I would say, "I don't want to sound rude, but I really don't want to discuss my private life." And smile!! They soon got the message and stopped asking. If you try and turn the discussion to their private life, they will think you are interested in discussing private lives and will keep asking you about yours. Direct, honest, and polite is best.

This works: " I've really had a bad experience discussing private life which I've not gotten over. Let's talk about other things. " : )