How to Keep Blinds Clean

Blinds can be an easy place for dust and dirt to build up. Here are some ideas on how to keep blinds clean in your home.

Like most renters, I have vertical blinds everywhere in my home. Where I live (near a beach), putting up curtains would mean way too much dirt and dust.

I clean my blinds bi-weekly with microfiber cloths. This area with a nearby airport is extremely dusty. A dust that depending on the weather can look like a car engine's dirt. I assumed using my vinegar and water with microfiber was the best way to keep as much out as possible. Keeping them clean is much easier than dealing with build up.

As you can imagine, this can be time consuming work. I have discovered a way to cut the time in half - using water only one time a week and taking a fraction of the time. All without spending a penny on the new, latest, or better product. I discovered that, like with the television which also get an extreme amount of dust on it, used dyer sheets work like magic. Instead of throwing away your used dryer sheets, save them and use for dusting the blinds. If it works on my blinds with the special sea and airport dirt, it will work on yours.

I have found dryer sheets to be so helpful other places also, leaving no lint behind. New ones are used when I don't have any from the laundry. They seem to do such a good job that when I do use water and vinegar on my major cleaning day it's easier. Try using dryer sheets on computer screens, the television, even my tables. All are shining and dust free.

I have a hand steamer I use on all my screens. Yes, my screens with the steamer! You do not have to remover the screen. I live in Southern California, so my windows are open daily. If you live where it's winter now, remember the furnace also brings so much dust into your home. For now, try the dryer sheets. When the weather warms up if you have a steamer it cuts the dusting down without too much hassle.

I am a clean nut, so helpful tips that make it easier are a blessing. Try this one it works!

If it works on computers. I was amazed at how it works on blinds as well.

By Luana M. from San Diego, CA

I have two methods to quickly clean blinds. Weekly I dust with a good feather duster. However two times a year they need a deep cleaning. I leave them in place, close them, then spray Scrubbing Bubbles on them. Let it sit for 5 minutes then wipe off with a clean microfiber cloth. Rinse as needed and they sparkle in a few minutes. No fuss, no muss.

Love the idea, for cleaning my computer screens, and blinds. I also put them on the chain of my ceiling fans. It makes a great, clean air freshener for people who smoke in the house.

I love both of these ideas! Thanks for your feedback. Many blessings.

Good ideas but, DO NOT use a new dryer sheet on your TV screen. It will leave a smear on the screen. A used one still has enough static removal in it to still clear the dust.