BreadFood Tips

Can I Make Bread Without the Paddle Hole from the Machine?

I am using a breadmaker to make bread. However, I want to know how to get rid of the paddle hole at the end of each loaf when I take it out of the machine. Does anyone know how I can get a perfect loaf? I would appreciate some help please. Thanks.

By dawndee from London, England

I've used bread machines since 1992 and I don't believe there is any way to cook a loaf in a machine without the holes. I don't like them either so I finish the loaf in a regular loaf pan. Perfect bread, no holes and it rises more for me.

You could use the machine to mix the dough, do the first rising, and then switch to greased bread pans, punch down and form the loaves and let rise in draft free area or slightly warm area if you have it. Oil top of loaf with butter (soft) and cover with saran wrap or plastic of some kind until ready to bake.

Make the dough in the machine, then remove paddle and cook bread in the machine on the cook cycle. My daughter and I find this works very well and you only get a very small hole.

Even taking the paddle off the hub just prior to the last rise cycle, will still leave the hole from the hub. If you transfer the dough to bread pans, you will not have the holes. I put the bread in the microwave along with cups of hot water. It's draft-free and a good place for the bread to rise. And you can control the temperature by controlling the heat of the water in the cups.

As suggested by others, remove to a greased bread pan after first rising. I have a bread machine and don't like the hole either. After learning to use the "micro-rise" method from the book "Bread in Half the Time," I can double the dough in 15 minutes and do it faster than the bread machine. Here's a link from a news article about the book that gives a brief explanation. Just remember, "3-3-6-3" for your warming and resting adds up to 15 minutes.

http://news.goo  ;pg=3499,3455282