Small Flies Are Driving Us Crazy

Category Flies
This is a guide about small flies are driving us crazy. Traps can be made to capture small flies, but determining where they are reproducing will also help decrease their numbers.

We are facing a problem with small flies increasing daily in all the rooms. I am not sure if these files are the same as the flies sitting on my bananas. It is becoming a big problem. Is there any method to get rid of these flies, any insecticide, or any other less harmful product as this is in the house?

By Giri from Bangalore

Answers

Best Answer

I used an old plastic dish one of those glad storage things taped fly paper around upper edge cause that's where they land, then hang a fly paper partway down into the dish, also dipped the fly paper in the solution of wine, apple vinegar, and apple juice that I put in dish, talk about a fly magnet. Best to use the whole fly paper strip wrapped around dish the small size disposable Glad one. just add solution as needed. They don't stand a chance. Put in window cause light also draws them in along with the smell, the wine smell seems the most potent, apple cider works well too.

My wife and I are being inundated by flies. They are actually much smaller, like fruit flies. We cannot get rid of them and have no idea where they are coming from. This has been going on for about two weeks now.

We first discovered them in our trash can in the garage. There were hundreds of them! The trash has since been picked up and the can cleaned and disinfected and there is no sign of bugs there. However, now we are finding them in our kitchen and our upstairs bathroom. I have dumped Clorox down every drain in the house several times and spent an entire day cleaning everything. I've cleaned all our drains, the garbage disposal, inspected the fridge, oven, microwave, pantry, everywhere, yet, still cannot figure out where they are coming from.

We kill them as we see them, probably twenty to thirty a day, yet their numbers do not diminish. Please help, they are making us crazy!

David

Answers:

Small Flies Are Driving Us Crazy

Try putting small dishes of vinegar out around the house. It works for us every summer!

Good Luck! Rebekah (08/09/2005)

By Madelynnsmama

Small Flies Are Driving Us Crazy

Thanks. It seems to be working, however, partially. Since I posted this I have pulled out both the oven and fridge, disassembled the garbage disposal, and disconnected the dishwasher drain, and still, nothing. At this point, I don't even care if they go away, I just want to know where they are coming from! (08/09/2005)

By dsennis5215

Small Flies Are Driving Us Crazy

Do you have houseplants? Could be fungus gnats. (08/09/2005)

Small Flies Are Driving Us Crazy

The vinegar is good. Try adding a few drops of dish detergent to it so they can't fly out of the vinegar. (08/10/2005)

By Ann

Small Flies Are Driving Us Crazy

Reading this is like having flashbacks. I had the same situation. But I knew they had come from some fruit that I had brought into the house. I know this sounds strange, but trust me, it worked. Put two saucers filled with unused coffee grounds on each end of your kitchen. They like to eat it but it kills them. It took about 4 days before they were totally gone. (08/13/2005)

By Donna

Small Flies Are Driving Us Crazy

Bleach down every drain is good, that's where they're coming from. Every other day pour boiling water down all the drains, including any floor drains. Within 2 weeks they will all be gone. (08/14/2005)

Small Flies Are Driving Us Crazy

I have killed fruit flies by spraying with hairspray diluted with alcohol. It seems to make the wings stick together, and it's non-toxic for the kitchen. (05/19/2006)

By pamphyila

Small Flies Are Driving Us Crazy

Take some OJ concentrate, set it in a shallow dish (undiluted), and let it melt on the kitchen counter. They will swarm towards it. Then just spray them with hair spray a few times a day. I get rid of fruit-flies-from-nowhere in a day or two this way. (06/30/2007)

By TheyGrewAgain

Small Flies Are Driving Us Crazy

We are having the same problem! The only thing that seems to be helping is fly paper! Non-toxic and no-smell, 4 for like $1.25 at the supermarket. (07/18/2007)

By Natalie

Small Flies Are Driving Us Crazy

I have one small inexpensive answer. Wine! Any wine. Just put like a cup out on a plate/bowl and let them feed. They'll drink, get drunk and drown. Trust me, this works! Just like snails on a cup of beer outside. (10/21/2009)

By rhondaemery