AdviceGardening

Giving Sunflower Seeds to Squirrels

I need a way to make something that I can attach to trees to put sunflower seeds in for my squirrels. Last year I attached margarine tubs but they weren't sturdy enough. Anyone have any ideas?

Lily from South Bend, Indiana

Answers:

Coffee Cans

My father in law makes feeders out of coffee cans.

By Sashough

Colander Or Berry Boxes

What about using berry boxes or a small colander?

By Jan

Terra Cotta Pot

Try a terra cotta flower pot that you'd normally use with cactus plants like "hens and chickens". It will be sturdy and seeds would be easy to reach, even on the bottom.

By Hsorbits

Milk Jug

You might try a plastic milk jug. Cut an opening for the little guys to get the seeds and tie to the tree by the handle. You can use gallon jugs or half gallons. A great way to recycle the jugs as well. Diane

By Brdldy

Share With The Birds

Our squirrels have no problem sharing with the birds at their feeder. I Know that they even finish first.

By Dianne, Upstate NY

On The Ground

I just pour them on the ground in a pile. Works great!

By Julie

Nuthouse

I once got a great gift for feeding my squirrel friends, it's called the "nuthouse" and it is a small wooden box with a bottom, back and two sides big enough to put a large pickle jar in. Nail the box to the tree and put the jar in. Fill with nuts. It is hysterical watching them get in the jar!

By Carrie029

I have large trays(mine are old cookie sheets from a commercial bakery) that I put my seeds in for the squirrels.You could use serving trays, cookie sheets,pie pans or pizza pans. This is especially helpful when we have snow. If the seed gets covered with snow, I just dump the snow and the seeds onto the ground and refill the tray. The critters can get seeds from the newly filled trays, and when the snow melts, they have seed on the ground to eat.

Harlean from Arkansas