AppliancesCleaning

Burned on Food on Gas Stove-top

Help. I was cooking rice pudding on my gas stove and it boiled over. I finished cooking it and it left a huge black spot on my stove. My stove does not have grates for some reason, I didn't even realize that it was supposed to until I started Googling cleaning methods. I have tried scraping it away, but I am afraid I will scratch it up. It is only a year old. But there is a thick black caked on mess

By Amy from Whibdey Island, WA

I use Bar Keepers Friend. Just wet the cool surface and make a paste with the powder. Leave on for a while and then scrub. It usually works for me. It is found in the cleanser isle with Comet, etc.

I hope this solves your problem. It is inexpensive and I have been using it on my glass top stove for years.

I would repost this with a picture if possible.

First thing I always try is leaving a hot washcloth on the stain for 20 minutes or so to try and loosen it up.

I added a picture I thought, but its not showing up. I will try again

I use baking soda for this. Just wet down the area and sprinkle with baking soda and wait a minute then use the scrubby side of one of those sponges with the green scrubby side. You will be amazed at how good this works.

I had this happen with me and it was a serious mess. I used everything and finally found that Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser worked the best. It seriously took care of all of it with no hard scrubbing or abrasions on the stove top.

Spray oven cleaner on it and let it sit for a few hours. Then wearing rubber gloves wipe clean. Let us know what method worked for you.

Sprinkle with Calgon water softener & a little dish soap, then cover with a hot dripping wet cloth & leave overnight if possible or at least a couple of hours, if it doesn't all wash right off finish with a "magicpad" this method is all I ever use for this kind of thing & I have never been disappointed yet! please try it.

Anonymous

Lots of really good cleaning advice here but I can't help but wonder who sold you the stove without grates on it and how you couldn't have ever noticed other stoves have them? Doesn't sound too safe to me to not have them and especially since it's a gas stove :-o Please purchase some grates!

Well we didn't buy the stove. It was a brand new house that came with the appliances last year. It's the first time I have ever seen a gas stove so it looked right to me. I have since found some and purchased them though.

Spread a layer of liquid automatic dishwasher detergent on it and leave it over night or for several hours. Put a damp towel over it to keep it from drying. That stuff dissolves everything. You just have to leave it longer on some things.