BirdsPets

Raising Finches

We have a male and female Society finch. They have laid 2 batches of eggs now. They take turns sitting, to no avail, the eggs have been infertile both times. We give them fruit and vegetables with their feed, fresh water daily, clean cage, proper nest, and none of the eggs are ever fertile. Why? What do we do? Thank you.

By D Ryall from Tigard, OR

I had some zebra finches and had the same problem for a while. I contacted the zebra finch society and they told me to change the type of nest I had in the cage. Still don't understand the difference other than they liked the new one better, but the next thing I knew I had 7 birds! They hatched 5 in one clutch! Don't know if that'll help you or not, but I'd suggest going online and contacting the society finch club. They should be able to help you better than anyone else.
Good luck!