Cleaning Burnt Oil in a Pan

Category Dishes
Many cooking oils, at high temperatures, can burn and leave caramelized residue or black burned areas in your pans. This is a guide about cleaning burnt oil in a pan.

A stubborn substance that can adhere to your pan is cooking oil. This guide is about cleaning burnt oil from stainless steel pans.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

OK, I'm in trouble. :(

I was frying some tortillas in vegetable oil when I got a phone call and as you can probably guess, I forgot to keep my eye on the pan and the vegetable oil dried up and I burned the pan. To make matters worse, I tried to scrape the burnt spots off with a plastic spatula and I melted a little bit of the spatula onto the pan.

I have to get it cleaned up because it's my girlfriend's favorite, almost brand new pan that she got for Christmas this last year.

The problem is that I have been glancing at this site now for a few days and I have tried: Vinegar and boiling water, baking soda and dish soap, boiling water and dish soap and I'm currently trying the dishwasher detergent soaking over night technique.

If, the dishwasher detergent does not do the trick, does any one have any almost guaranteed tricks that will work for me?

Thanks!

MrPlazmaDude from Colorado

Editor's Note: What is the pan made of? Does it have a non-stick surface?

Answers

By LuAnn (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Fill the pan halfway with water, add 1/4 cup cream of tarter, bring to a boil and let simmer. You should be able to see the burnt particles lifting loose. Clean as usual.

How do you clean all the "yellow" cooked on oil on saute pans and old burn stains, etc.? The pan has been stained for a while.

Sally from Northern Virginia

Answers

Best Answer

If it is stainless steel/aluminum please try Barkeeper's friend (sold next to Bon Ami) it is the best for removing old stains. Dampen the area, sprinkle it on, rub it in and let it set for a minute or two.

Then scrub to rinse it off. It takes some elbow grease, but this stuff gets old oil, tarnish and rust out of almost any metal! And it sells for less than a dollar!