What is Powdered Dextrose?

Could someone tell me what powdered dextrose is? We have a family project this weekend of making homemade sausage (various kinds), and one of the recipes calls for powdered dextrose. What is it and where could we look for it? Local food stores do not carry it on the shelf, and the meat departments have no idea of what it is. Any suggestions?

Pattie from Fredonia, NY

Sugar - dextrose, frutose, sucrose, etc. are all forms of sugar. you may have to search online for this product, or check for an alternate product you can subsistute

By (Guest Post)

dextrose,sucrosefructose etc are all sugars u can use any one as a sweetner... powdered dextorse can be icing sugar,crushed sugar

It is one of several forms of sugar. You can find it on e-Bay for $3.00 per pound + shipping. I'm not sure what advantage it would have over regular confectioners (powdered) sugar, but the e-Bay site claims it is "an ideal nutrient that assists fermentation and gives the desired tangy flavor.

Dextrose is heavier than meat and forces itself into the cells of meat." Personally I'd be inclined to try a small batch of whatever I was making with regular powdered sugar and see how it turned out. I wonder if anyone could tell the difference.

By Maureen in NZ (Guest Post)

It is powdered Glucose so may be available at a Pharmacy or Health Food shop. Good luck!!

It is (in the U.S.) a corn sweetener product, and many people (some unknowingly) are allergic to it. It would be better (safer) to use regular beet or cane sugar.

By cgrisby AT sbcglobal.net (Guest Post)

I was reading on a subject that fructose could make you fat. I've been using some sweeteners with dextrose in it. Is this dextrose a fattening sweetener too?

By Bill H. (Guest Post)

Great feed back was of help to me. Keep up the good work.

Powdered dextrose is a form of a sweetener that is suppose to be better for you than fructose. I'm fructose intolerant.

So I have to have something else for a sweetener. You can order dextrose from Amazon.com. I just got mine in can't wait to try it out in my baking.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Food InfoJanuary 12, 2007
😷
🎉
Generated 2020-12-27 20:42:32 in 621 msecs. ⛅️️
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf30203939.tip.html