JewelryOther

My Gold Rings Changed Color

I accidentally soaked my gold rings in my silver cleaner. When I removed them, they were very dull. I tried cleaning them with the right cleaner, and they didn't change. Any ideas what I can do to return their shine?

By Lori from Hammond, IN

I found this place that encourages you to contact them for questions about cleaning jewelry. Hope you have good luck with your rings....some of my favorite rings are all tarnished though!
www.blitzinc.net/.../contact_us.cgis

Blessings, Robyn

Take them to a jeweler and talk to them.

I agree with Pikka. Take them to a jeweler.

I did a silly thing (unknowingly). I put my gold rings in alcohol to clean them and it changed their color to a bronzish color. Any hope for me to them back to normal?

Sophie from Westborough, MA

Answers:

My Gold Rings Changed Color

Here are some options I have found:

1. Detergent Bath:
    Use any mild liquid detergent found in your home (such as dishwashing soap) and prepare a small bowl of warm suds. Brush the pieces with an eyebrow brush or toothbrush while they are in the bath. Then transfer them to a wire tea strainer and rinse under warm running water. Pat dry with a soft, lint-free cloth.
  2. The Cold Water Soak:
    Make a solution out of 50% cold water and 50% household ammonia in a cup. Soak the pieces for 30 minutes. Lift out gently clean with an eyebrow brush or toothbrush. Swish in the solution once more and let the jewelry drain on tissue paper.
  3. The Quick-Dip Method:
    Buy any brand-name liquid jewelry cleaner found in many stores. Cleaning instructions vary depending on the kit, so read the label and follow its instructions.
  4. Take it to the jeweler and have them clean it, many do this for free.

(07/05/2006)

By Dawn

My Gold Rings Changed Color

I would not try anything else on my own and would take the ring or rings straight to a jeweler.

Alcohol is a good cleaner and kills germs, but I do think it can harm finishes. I used it on my stainless stove and it did wonders except for the area where the knobs are. I'm not sure if it was like a painted finish in that area or what, but it dulled it very badly and it doesn't look good now. I didn't feel too bad because the stove is 19 years old and I'd like to replace it. I think you really need to be careful with it.

Oh, and what you can clean most jewelry with is ammonia, water, and a little dish soap. That's probably all that's in the jewelry cleaner than you can buy in the little jar.

I know I would feel sick if that happened to me and sure hope the true color of the gold can be brought back. (07/10/2006)

By Debbie Dzurilla