Dog BreedsDogs

Cocker Spaniel With Elephant Skin

I have a lovely cocker, she has suffered from skin problems since she was a pup. The vets are constantly putting her on antibiotics (ceporex) which has no effect. I am at a loss and hate to see her constantly scratching and licking herself. Does any one have a good home remedy to treat elephant skin?

Isabel from London

Our pug-a-poo had the same problem. Our "country" vet suggested giving him Fish Oil once or twice a week. You can buy it in the pharmacy aisle. Use only one to begin with because to much can cause diarreha.
We give Bear two capsule twice a week over hot dogs. We carefully cut apart a capsule and squeese it over the hot dogs. If he starts scratching more during allergy season we'll give him an extra one .
Good luck
Kit

We use vaseline for most skin problems here. Ask your vet though because it might not be good for the dog to lick it.

Is she on natural foods? Our first cocker spaniel had skin problems and unfortunately the web was not as good for research as it is now. Our current cocker has been on ONLY natural dog food since we brought him home. NO skin or ear problems for this little guy. Use a search engine and type in natural dog food. We use Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul, http://www.chic … m/products/dogs/
It is worth the couple of extra dollars a month, we save a LOT on vet bills by not having to bring him for skin and ear problems. We use both the can and dry food.

Here is a picture of our "baby"

http://www.thri … f328902.tip.html

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

I'd try treating for the antibiotic overuseage with a delicate and great PRObiotic, from the health food store,( Acidolphylus with FOS), even though someone
might argue that it is mostly for humans. It's harmless, unlike the Antibiotics, and helps most anyone/pet that it's given to. I'd give it one a day. It seems to work wonders for what could be a systemic YEAST infection in your dog, manifesting in the SKIN. I'd also change DRY foods to a better brand and add two beaten raw eggs to the dry food each day, and feed LESS of the dry food.

It should help both skin AND hair follicles. Also, I'd keep LOTS of water for him to drink.If not drinking much, I'd pull open his side jaw skin and try to get spoonsful of warm, not hot, buttered(1 tsp) water down, to give him the idea that you want him to drink water. (You could also butter his water as you feed him the dry food each day).He may ALSO have allergies, so keep his area clean, fragrance clear, and don't bathe him in anything for a while, if you have been, OR, if not bathing him, try

heating the bathroom WELL, and bathing the dog in (WalMart) Mane 'n Tail shampoo for horses and other animals, in warm water, then rinsing in Mane 'n Tail conditioner as suggested, rinsing as well. Towel dry, then BLOW DRY VERY WELL ON WARM< NOT HOT> reassuring the dog every step of the way and
being gentle and firm, keeping the door locked until
dry, the floor covered in old towels/blankets/rags or
newspaper until dog is thoroughly dry, including feet,
and ears.

Use miticide in the VERY DRY ears, if you can get it for pets. Try a little on an obvious skin patch, too, in case the skin condition may be a BAD case of microscopic MITES, or DUST MITES. Check with a flashlight at night to see if any insects are night crawling when lights are off. Keep dog off woolen or cedar bedding in case of allergy to it.

Wash anything he's sleeping on with IVORY soap, and rinse well weekly. Brush his fur very gently, if he
can tolerate it and the conditioner helped. Otherwise,
let it go until signs of improvement. Don't feed him
any kind of treat, strange food/snack/drink, ever, and keep his bedding away from forced air/heat.

I hope this helps. God bless you. : )

There was a recipe on this site once- taking baby oil, listerine (can you imagine?!?!?) and water and combining in a spray bottle. I used it on my LH dachshund and it helped- my dad also used it on his dog with some success. I don't remember the proportions, but you could probably find it on the Thrifty Fun website.

Be sure your dog food does not contain corn. It usually causes allergies, too.

Have you had her thyroid checked? Also there is a website www.zimfamilycockers.com There is a ear cleaning remedy posted on there but it works well on their skin too.