Grocery Bag Dog Leash?

I'm making a leash from grocery bags. After you get the bags all cut down the sides and glued to each other, you then loop the bag-cords together by laying them out next to each other, grabbing them in the middle (now making 4 bag-lengths), and then looping them around a swivel hook. Then you make square knots.

My problem is that 2 of the lengths come out lots longer than the other 2. The middle lengths are much longer than the 2 outside lengths. Is this right? I think I'm making the knots correctly, they look great, but I was told to start with 2 cords the same length. What am I doing wrong, or is this correct?

Jacquelyn

Do you have a picture to make it easier to understand your request about the knots?

Hi, well, I don't really have pictures, but I have figured out what's going on. I am making macrame square knots, different from regular square knots. In this kind of knot, the middle cords usually end up longer because they are considered the "core" cords, meaning you work around them instead of with them.

The outside cords are what you use up faster because they are used to make the knots.

I knew they were getting used up faster, just didn't know if this was right. It didn't follow the directions for a square knot that I was trying to copy. I just didn't know I was making a macrame square knot. When I finally discovered that I was so relieved!

Thanks for considering helping me!

I cant help with your question, but I do have a suggestion for future reference. If by glueing, you literally mean glue... I would suggest melting the plastic bags together with a hot iron. Just cover the bags with a file folder or other light board. Check out this link:

www.craftster.org/.../index.php?topic=178442.0

Thanks! What a cool website. I think I will use that method of putting the bags together next time and see what works best.

The glue did fine, but who knows? The ironing should be faster, no waiting for the glue to dry.

Crafts AdviceMarch 3, 2009
🎃
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf30591114.tip.html