Removing Wallboard Over Drywall?

I have 1980s board paneling it looks like tile. It's in the bathroom. It looks like it is glued to the drywall. It covers all the walls with full coverage. I want to paint the bathroom. What do I do to get the paneling off, without destroying the drywall, so I can paint the walls?


By Patricia D. from Hampton, VA

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

September 19, 20110 found this helpful

I would paint over it. I've learned that if you use an oil based paint as a primer over wall board and wall paper, and then use whatever paint you prefer on top, it works great! I've done this a lot. My favorite top coat is Behr's Paint and Primer in One. It gives good coverage. I've had some projects where the paper or board were too difficult to remove, and would have caused too much damage to the dry wall. This is a good solution. It's also a great way to have texture on your walls!

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
September 21, 20110 found this helpful

You might want to check with a paint store first. I know the kind of wallboard you are talking about as my bathroom had it too when I bought my house. It's surface may not take paint, even primer, very well. Then again, they may have something that will work.


As far as taking it down without damaging the sheetrock, impossible. Sheetrock can be repaired if the damage isn't extensive, but you just won't know what you're going to get until the point of no return. Good luck with your project.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
September 28, 20110 found this helpful

If it's glued on, you aren't going to get it off without damaging the drywall & probably having to replace it. If it was nailed in, you'd still be taking the chance that just filling in the nail holes would be enough. Either way, it's going to be a major amount of work.

I'm not familiar with the wallboard. You could probably use a good primer like Kilz (sp?), which will coat nearly everything.then paint it.


If it's textured or has lines on it that would show through. I know they make a wallpaper-type product that is made to put over wall panel to make it smooth so that when you paint it you can't tell it was paneling. I think you have to get it at one of those paint/wallpaper stores.

Best thing would be to take good photos & go into the store & talk to someone who can give you better advice.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!


Home and Garden Home Improvement Dry WallSeptember 19, 2011
Back to School Ideas!
Summer Ideas!
Pest Control
Coronavirus Tips
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2020-08-04 18:30:19 in 2 secs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Dry WallHome Improvement