ShrubsGardening

Overwatered Hibiscus

My hibiscus was severely overwatered! I left on a business trip after I put my plants outside in their drained pots and we had an awful week of rain. Upon returning my plants had yellow leaves and they fell off. Will my plants come back or is it too late?

Hardiness Zone: 7b

Rosemary from Taunton, MA

By Jackie (Guest Post)

I find Hibicus Plants or trees to be a very thirsty plant. I have to give my Hibiscus plant a full cup of water a day, While it is in blooming season. Now, You said your plant got a temendous amount of rain. So, I would suggest leaving it out in the sun to dry out. Remove and clip any discolored leaves or dead blooms. Cut back the plant until you reach fresh green stems and leaves. When it begins to dry, Water it lightly until it starts coming back to life. I am sure that it will. The other thought I would do is, Transplant it right away, Into a larger pot, Loosening all the roots and half fill the pot with fresh plant soil and a bit of plant food. This will help the roots from rotting from sitting in so much water. Top the pot off with more fresh soil & food, Water until soil is moist, Not soaken. And then water only as it needs to be!

Best of luck with your Hibiscus! :)
Jackie
From Massachusetts

Thank you Jackie. We've gotta love the Spring season in Massachusetts. It's NEVER predictable!