Recipes for Someone With Acid Reflux

I am looking for recipes for people with acid reflux. They can't be high fat, acidic, have caffeine, or be spicy foods. I don't like taking medication for it, because that hid a problem that I needed emergency surgery for. I can tolerate dried onions, but not fresh or frozen. We eat a lot of beef, because that is all my husband likes. He is also diabetic. Thank you.

By Sandra

Acid reflux comes from the sphincter between the esophagus & the stomach being too lax & popping open when it shouldn't. Believe it or not, it's not stomach acid coming back up to burn things. It's gastrin. Gastrin is so damaging. Only when there isn't enough stomach acid (hydrochloric acid, HCl), is there too much gastrin. Gastrin, histamine & HCl r what enables your stomach to digest your food. When there isn't enough HCl, the others get over produced to try to get your stomach to produce more HCl.

Not having enough HCl also reduces your ability to absorb minerals, which causes that sphincter to become lax & not to respond properly. It's all one big feedback mechanism, and by stopping this feedback, will slowly effect all parts of your body. Have you tried betaine hydrochloride? If your stomach is capable of producing more HCl; this will help. Mine was not, it took much stronger stuff to help, but I thought you might like to know this stuff. I suffered a long time, before I got the help I needed. HCl also keeps your stomach sterile, which stops bacteria from getting into your system.

Believe it or not, apples and apple cider vinegar have helped me, especially after meat. Just 2 slices apple and
1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar, for couple of meals started straightening everything out.

Also, eating standing and walking short distance after dinner, and no tight clothes. Recent research says sitting after eating, and sitting a lot, causes all kinds of metabolic problems.

Small servings of whatever you eat, chewed very well helps [gets digestion juices working]. I'd eat simply for a while. Steamed veggies, baked or steamed potatoes, etc. Sugar and white flour always gives me heartburn after few days of being careless.