General AdviceConsumer Advice

Choosing a Sewing Machine

Which is better sewing machine, Bernina, Elna, or Pfaff?

By Lynn Mansueto from Centurion, ZA

It depends on what you want to do and how experienced you are.

Bernina is one of the most expensive and has the best embroidery capabilities etc.

Write down what you want to do with the machine, what you want to make. Then check out each website.

Go to www.threads.com...they have comparison charts on their website for each of the machines.

Be knowledgeable before you go to buy one. If you can get in to a shop after a show you can usually get a demonstrator for less and some will have extras as well. Hope that helps. It is the best way to go.

I purchased both a new sewing machine and a serger at the same time, knew which brand of machine I wanted and went to three shops getting quotes and having them write them down for me. When I went to the third and last shop I managed to save $800 with lots of extras thrown in.

I have always owned a Singer sewing machine & like them. I used to sew for the public, done lot of sewing. I have worn out 3. I also have a serger; like it also. Good luck.