How To Sprout Moonflower Seeds

I received dried moonflower seeds from a plant in Dallas. I put some in pots with potting soil and planted some directly in the ground without nicking and soaking. It's been about 2 weeks now and none have sprouted. I have done an online search and everyone says to nick the seeds. These seeds are so tiny it's about impossible to nick them.

I now have a few that have been soaking for about three days and they don't look any different from the day I starting soaking them. Are the seeds in the packets that you buy any bigger? I'm in zone 7, west Texas. What am I doing wrong?

By Betty

I did not nick mine but I did soak them. It took a long time for them to come up but once they did they are growing fast.

Betty

Depending on the weather and other factors, it may be normal that your seed haven't come up yet. I'd give them one more week.

When you were doing your research online, did you happen to view any pictures of the seed? The seeds are not tiny. They are as large as a good size English pea. You should have no trouble nicking them. I never soak or nick mine. It really isn't necessary. All it does is speed up the germination time by a day or two.

Below is a picture of a Moonflower Vine seed.