Feeding Yellow Finches

0
Share
Save
Follow
Print

Yellow Finch on a feederI purchased a new finch feeder and fresh new nyger seed. I have fed the finches for numerous years with no problem. Now they don't come to the feeder. I see them drinking from the bird bath and sitting in the trees, but they don't feed. What's wrong? I even moved the feeder near a tree. It never was near a tree before.

By Joyce

Answers

Best Answer

There could be a couple of things going on:

1. Check the freshness of the seed (if it has even a little mold in it, they will avoid the feeder).

2. When was the last time you cleaned the feeder?

3. Have any predators been about? Hawks, racoons, even grey squirrels can worry them enough to go elsewhere.

4. Don't forget: once you start feeding them, stick with it. Finches are habitual feeders. Once they find a food source they like to go back again and again.

Good luck and enjoy!

Answer this Question

We have store bought bird feeders for the yellow finches. And they would rather eat from an old nylon anklet ( or panty hose leg) than anything else...

I have been feeding the yellow finches Nyger seed for years. But this year they are not coming to feed. Why? I have seen them flying in my yard and drinking from the bird bath.

Does anyone have advice on the best place to hang a finch feeder? I'd like to attract gold and blue finches to my yard.

Home and Garden Gardening Birds & Bird HousesApril 15, 2017
🌻
😎
🎆
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf31913785.tip.html