Preventing the Spread of the Neighbor's Bamboo

Category Grassy Weeds

My neighbour's garden is filled with bamboo plants, initially it was nice and provided shade, but it has grown very wild and brushy. It kept on shedding its leaves on my carpet grass garden. We had tried trimming it regularly over on our side, but that is very time and energy consuming as we are old retired couples. They also do not want to remove the bamboo plants.

Is it true that it would attract snakes and other reptiles as we are staying near a big canal. Please advise.

By Ho PP

I finally killed mine with vinegar. It took several applications. Cut it short as you can and soak roots with the vinegar (white vinegar) Instructions were for 20% acid. Too hard to get. Used the common white vinegar, i think it is 4%. It worked. Bamboo runners will keep popping up. Do them the same. The other solution is a back hoe. I am not sure if a really strong cultivator would work (and remove bits and pieces because all will grow)Good luck. That is a lot of work.

Bamboo is very beautiful but invasive. It doesn't so much as attract snakes as anything that grows in highly acidic soil. It seems to grow no matter what the weather, extremely hot or rainy etc. I've found mowing over the shoots that come up several feet from the plant helps and finding the shoots by hand (cutting it off) helps but this is a never ending adventure. It just controls the spreading.