HeatingGreen Living

Making the Most of Your Heat

Category Heating

Moisture in the air makes it feel warmer. I heat my home with a wood burning stove not designed to heat it. I keep 2 canning jar pans full of water on it and move the air with fans that have filters. I also keep bedrooms colder.

By Jill from Utah

I have forced natural gas heat, but I make use of this idea too. I bought 4 nice bowls at Wal-Mart. I placed one in my bedroom, one in my son's bedroom, one in the hall (on top of bookcases), and a fourth in the bathroom-- all filled with water to add humidity. I also use a cold air humidifier at night in my bedroom. Downstairs, I have wide mouth canning jars filled with water near each floor vent. If I soak in the tub, I leave the warm water in the tub when I am done to add warmth and humidity--I drain it once it's cooled. The humidity really makes a house feel warmer and more comfortable.