Use Wet Toothpicks To Sow Seeds

It is "sow" (pardon the pun) hard to sow small seeds into seed planters trying to get a head start on outdoor plants. But I had wooden toothpicks separating the seeds and I just wet the toothpick and a single seed would stick to it and I could then put it where I wanted it. I was working with basil seeds at the time, don't know if different seeds make any difference or not.

Happy gardening!

By George from Roanoke, VA

By Ace (Guest Post)

Excellent idea & perfect timing as springtime is coming! Thanks. I'm saving this tip.

By Lynda (Guest Post)

Great idea, and I hope you would leave the pick in place so that the tiny seedling can gain a little support? Also, I think it would be a good idea to soak the toothpicks in seed starter fertilizer such as
liquid Sea Kelp (weak solution) for additional boost in growth as seedlings come along side of the pick which should in time decompose naturally in the wet soil. The pick also will help in transplanting those seedlings that will transplant. I'm going to try this perhaps today on some new seeds, since
I'm sifting soil for new seeds this afternoon, I hope! It's really windy, so I might wait until next week, but it's an idea I really like and will try. Thanks. God bless you. : )

Home and Garden Gardening PlantingFebruary 20, 2007
📓
🐛
🌻