Growing Peach Trees from Pits

I want to start peach trees from pits. Do I have to remove the seed from inside the pit first?

Lea from Santa Fe, NM

Answers:

East Coast Is Better For Peaches

I think you would have to remove the seed from the pit. I noticed that you are from Santa Fe, NM. I know that you'll have a real problem trying to grow a peach tree out west because of your hot climate. Peaches are grown more on the east coast not the west coast. Marge from NY

By Marge W.

Colorado State Website

Colorado State University had this information on their website: http://coopext.colostate.edu/4dmg/VegFruit/Fruits/pits.htm

By the way - the pit IS the seed - so just plant it as is. Good luck -and enjoy seeing what your new plant does! I love trying things like this - it is fun!

By QueenBeeCrafts

California Grows Great Peaches

Goodness, Marge, have you been to California??? We have lots and lots of peach orchards. Your post put a smile on my face :) Hope you have a great day!

By Luvyabye

Just Plant It Like It Fell Off The Tree

No, there is no pit to remove. Just think of how nature does it and you have it. The peaches drop from the tree and voila. (smile) I have an online friend who tells of the peach tree they have in their garden that was planted there by her grandaughter when she was a child. They now each the peaches from that tree. They live in IN.

By Carol in PA

Plant The Whole Pit

The seed is inside the pit. You plant the whole pit and leave the rest to Mother Nature!

By Shelly

Compost Pile Peaches

I'm in Arkansas, and I believe we're in the same climate, although not the same altitude. I just throw my pits in my compost pile, and later scatter the decomposed compost around my garden. Every year, there are some peach trees that have germinated, along with some plum and cherry trees. Sometimes, I think it may take more than a single season for them to germinate, so be patient. And yes, I have gotten peaches from the new trees.

By susanmajp

I am wondering if peach trees will grow in Houston.. I've never seen them or heard any discussion of it. My daughter in law is an avid gardener and I would love to start a peach tree in a pot for her to transplant later.

I had heard in my permaculture class that cherry pits and

other seeds often had to pass through the intestine of a bird

or animal and be exposed to gastric acids. We ate a pile

of cherries one year and I decided to find out what per cent

acid our stomach acid was, figuring it would be similar for

most creatures. Five percent was the best guess and I knew

vinegar is 5%, so I took a pint of cherry seeds, covered them

in vinegar and put a lid on them. I forgot them until spring

and went to check on them in the basement and almost every seed had sprouted.

I was moving so I just put them into the compost pile and

left them to their fate.

Can you plant them in California?

i really want to sprout a peach from a pit. How is it possible to be successful and fast? Is there a way?

RE: Growing Peach Trees from Pits

Post By pikka (Guest Post) (11/27/2007)

Birds do not have stomach acid. They use sand in their gizzards to break down their food.

Marge- California produces 65% of the peaches grown in the United States.

SH

I have not tried to grow from pits, Interesting idea. I have 2 peach trees in my north side of the house that have more peaches than I can personally use, but I do can them for winter. They have been producing every year since I planted them 5 years ago. I am about 50 miles east of Denver. (if you are above Zone 5, I would suggest late peaches, or be prepared to protect the blooms during frosts. Good luck., (p.s., I am trying banana and grapefruit next) more care involved in them, but the challenge will be VERY rewarding. ;)

I have not tried to grow from pits, Interesting Idea. I have 2 Peach trees in my North side of the house that have more peaches than I can personally use, but I do can them for winter. They have been producing every year since I planted them 5 years ago. I am about 50 miles East of Denver. (if you are above Zone 5, I would suggest Late Peaches, or be prepared to protect the blooms during frosts. Good luck., (p.s., I am trying Banana and Grapfruit next) more care involved in them, but the challange will be VERY rewarding. ;)

>Peaches are grown more on the east coast not the west coast. Marge from NY <

No, Marge, they are not. 65% of peach trees are grown in California. Sorry.

I live in Arizona and YES we do get very hot in the summer but not for a few months I would be interested in planting a peach pit will it grow? DO I have to buy special soil or can I just plant in backyard?

I live in the Yakima Valley here in Washington state and Marge from NY is sure going to take some flak for posting that fruit trees don't grow on the west coast. Lol Marge, I am pretty sure you have never left the state of NY or you would not have made that statement.

The Yakima valley is known for it's orchards. It is one of the most temperate climates in the country. We also have a huge wine industry going in this state and are becoming fairly well known in France, Italy, Spain, etc. Come visit sometime.