TreesGardening

Can I Defoliate an Indoor Avocado to Reduce Leaf Size?

I have 2 avocado trees I started from the pits in avocados bought at a supermarket. They are now in terra cotta pots and one is at least 2' tall and the other about 1/2 that size. I want to use these as house plants, but the larger one has such big leaves I wonder if it could be defoliated like sheffelera and Japanese maples can?

I have done this before with success, to get smaller leaves because the 2 plants mentioned regrow smaller leaves which I use in bonsai plants. I don't plan to bonsai the avocado trees, but the leaves are so large on the large one it seems that it would be aesthetically more appealing with smaller, if only a little smaller leaves than it has now.

Thanks for any assistance.

By David Stroud from Greer, SC