Calming Spray For Cats

Can anyone recommend a calming spray for cats that works? Or even a recipe so that I can make my own. This would be for spraying rooms, carpeting, etc. - NOT the cats! We adopted a male cat (approx. 6 yrs. old) a little over a month ago. Our two females (11 and 6) are still not totally accepting of him. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Maryeileen from Brooklyn, OH

Have you tried Rescue Remedy? It's safe for humans and animals.

Anonymous

I also recommend Rescue Remedy and I have bought it in spray form.

Most health food stores carry it.

Since cats are very territorial, it will take some time for the established cats to accept the newcomer.

Try placing the cats in different rooms during some part of the day and giving the established kitties more attention.

Some aggression may occur, but don't let it get out of hand.

I highly recommend Feliway (or variations on this). You can't make it yourself because it contains calming pheremones that emit "happy cat" scent to de-stress your cats. The plug in works better than the spray--and it's great. Buy 1 bottle and you may not need to continue use after that.

I know Feliway has worked for some, but my cats considered the plug-in as yet another unfamiliar cat and hissed and growled at it. I think they thought it was a mini-cat in a bottle. They all heaved a sigh of relief when I unplugged it and put it away!

I agree with Utahyogini that it will take time. I have frequently acquired new cats and eventually they all get used to each other, even if the morning greeting is still the "morning hiss". I also agree that giving your established cats lots of attention is important. Mine all have specific places and ways for attention: one of them spends time with me when I'm in the bathroom!-- and one will only be petted when no other cat is in the room, one always gets her attention on a chair when I'm reading the newspaper, etc. My latest addition has finally been accepted after 8 months by all and sundry and the one who hissed and avoided the most is now seen to be sleeping with the kitten pillowed on her back.

Hope they get used to each other soon.

Cantate

Cats, especially females, are VERY territorial. Try some of the ideas we found effective when we brought our new puppy home to our two rather insulted girls:
first... clean everything. If you can't clean it (like you don't have to shampoo the carpet) mix half and half water and distilled vinegar and spray like febreeze. You'll smell like you're dying easter eggs for a couple hours but you can also add about 3-9 drops of lavender essential oil to the mix. That will help cover the vinegar smell and aid in relaxing everyone in the house.
Next, make sure your cats have places only they can go. No one, not even human family members, should be allowed to pull them out.
After that... time is essential. Eventually, although it might take several more months, they'll at least learn to tolerate each other.

Good luck!

P.S.
After a another couple of weeks, try laying a towel in some area or other and sprinkling with catnip.
This is sure to be some kind of "ice breaker" for your kitties.

I use catnip when my cat has arthritis pain or is upset because of any reason. She goes to her bed and sleeps after she smells it a little. good luck

Update: I made a spray of my own made by adding lavender and also clary sage essential oil to water and sprayiing it in common areas, which helped a little. I then bought a bottle of Feliway (which I had used before and forgot about trying this time) and it has made a BIG difference in their behavior. It's not perfect (and probably never will be) but things have definitely improved. I tried the Feliway plug-in a couple of years ago and didn't find that it helped much - I like the fact that you can use the spray where needed. Thanks for all of your suggestions!

I have found through haveing many pets, if you pet your animals and exchange their sents, I found this helps.