BugsPest Control

Do I Have Bed Bugs?

I would like to know how to determine if you have an infestation of bed bugs.

By Patty from Los Angeles, CA

I have also heard that if you check the seams in your mattresses, etc. you will see signs of where the bedbugs have been if they are in your house.

You may also see small unexplained bloody spots on your sheets.

Bites on your arms and legs (parts not covered by clothing) which mainly happen at night. Many times the bug bites are in a row. Check the bottom corners of you mattress, lifting the seams to see. The adults look like small apple seeds.

I am not seeing anything biting, but I have bites. My daughter is not getting bitten nor is she itchy all day. What could this be? Why are they just biting me? She has a few bites, but not like I do. I checked everything and have thrown out the furniture. I have spent hundreds on sprays and stuff. Any suggestions?

By Lynn

It could possibly be bedbugs, or maybe it is fleas. Sometimes you can't see the fleas if they are really small, and fleas just don't bite some people (like me). They may be in your carpet, which you should probably shampoo anyway just to make sure. Hope this helps.

I was thinking about fleas, too. We've had them twice in the last 15 years, and both time they chewed me up, but left my husband alone. I would tell him I thought we had fleas, and he'd poo-poo me. Finally, after catching one and showing him he'd be convinced (nevermind the bites all over my legs!). It's possible they love you but not your daughter. Have you run foggers in your house? That always worked for us. And if you have pets, you'll want to treat them, too.

It might be scabies. You can't see them and the bites itch like crazy. Go to the doctor so she can prescribe the special cream.

Fleas choose a host. My daughter had bites from them once and nobody else in the house did. Fleas would be my guess.