Resident Kitten Growling at New Kitten ?

Well 3 weeks ago I got my first kitten; she is almost 4 months old. She adjusted quickly here. Today I got a 4 week old kitten who I am still nursing. My 4 month old kitten isn't liking it too much. She is being stand-offish and growling at the kitten. How do I help them get along better?

By Felicia from Junction City, KS

Give them time. "Old" kitten will end up loving "New" kitten. Every time you pick up the new one, talk kindly to the first, and stroke her.

I have older cats, one of them a stray I recently took in. My poor first cat still growls and complains when he gets too close, and I've had him two years now. He adores her, of course, thinks she's the queen. And I think she makes a fuss simply to maintain that royal position!

Your cats will forget that they're not related soon, and then just squabble like any other siblings!

There is really nothing you can do other than separating them and slowly reintroducing them each day. Although, letting nature take its course (with your supervision, of course) is really the only way this will happen.

A trick I have heard of is getting a clean towel and rubbing it all over the new cat and then rubbing it immediately all over the older cat. That way the smell of the new cat is transferred to the older cat. Smell, to them, is everything.

Pets CatsApril 18, 2010
😷
📓
🌻
🐛
Generated 2020-08-18 11:03:42 in 794 msecs. ⛅️️
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf34874486.tip.html