Using a Sugar Substitute for Canning?

0
Share
2
Save
Follow
Print

I would like to know if a sugar substitute (like Splenda) could be used for canning recipes that ask for sugar?

By Denise941 from FL

Best Answer

Frankly I am not sure if can be used on all foods that would normally have sugar. It might depend on your use for the food later on. What I do know is I learned long time ago to put sugar/sweetener in any tomatoes I canned. I even use sweetener in items that need spaghetti sauce, etc. I don't see why you couldn't put it in jars of fruit. If you were going to use the fruit for pies later on, you might have to add a thickener of some kind at that time.

I have a friend who is diabetic and she makes freezer jam using half sugar and half Splenda. It turns out just fine. I'll try it this summer when I make my blackberry and strawberry jams.

Margaret from Denton, Texas

Food and Recipes CanningApril 8, 2010
🎆
👔
🌻
Generated 2021-06-18 08:37:40 in 919 msecs. ⛅️️
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf35377972.tip.html