Hibiscus Not Blooming

My hibiscus is loaded with blooms, they are not developing like they did last year. Most of them fall off before opening or the blooms are very small like a husk. What can I do? Thanks for any help.

By powelles from Fairmount, TX

Best Answer

Don't cut it back unless you want to root the cuttings and they are easy to do this time of year. Just cut back to the first part of old growth (grey bark) and put in soil and keep moist. Leave outside (I put mine under the plant so I know what color is in the pot till it roots.

Not blooming is usually 2 things; not enough water put a pan under it that will hold about 2 inches of water as they are very thirsty, and fertilizer. I use 10.10.10 and liquid 20.20.20 during the summer. Don't forget the sun....takes all you can get but at least 3 hours. I live in south Georgia and I have to take mine in in the winter. It will bloom all winter long if given enough bright light and the other things but in winter curb the fertilizer a little but keep the water coming. Good growing.

As for the lady with small blooms ... fertilizer and water and maybe a bigger pot.