Helpful HintsHome Improvement

Paint Keys for Easy Identification

I use bright colored nail polish to identify my keys on my key ring. I have a lot of keys, but only certain ones that I use daily.

For instance: My car has one of those black things that you use to lock and unlock it with, plus the car key has a big black top. So I painted the top portion of my gas cap key (I started locking it when gas started going sky high) black to go with them.

My front door key, the one that locks the door knob, I painted hot pink. The one that locks the dead bolt on the front door is painted half pink and half bright blue. Not front and back but the lower half of the top portion pink, then the top half blue. This way the keys are easily visible on my cluttered ring and the knob and deadbolt keys are also easily distinguishable from each other.

By doing this it's made searching for the right key with an arm full of bags so much easier. Plus finding the gas cap key is a lot easier too.

I had thought about putting just a dab of polish on each key but in my jumble of keys, it wouldn't be easily seen. This way the colors are very easily seen.

By Cricket from Parkton, NC

Excellent and very practical thinking. And no one has to know your system, for safety's sake. Thanks for the idea!